John has been in practice since 1978 and is one of the founding partners of McDonald, Duncan LLP, now McDonald, Duncan, Doré LLP. John is the managing partner and practices primarily in the areas of Business Law and Estate Planning.
John has a broad range of experience in all areas of business law including the creation of new corporations, partnerships and sole proprietorships, corporate governance, shareholder agreements, franchising, purchase and sale of a business, commercial financing and lending, corporate re-organizations, commercial leasing and the purchase and sale of commercial real estate.
John also has extensive experience in the area of estate planning for business and high net worth clients including the drafting of wills and powers of attorney, the use of multiple wills, holding companies, testamentary trusts, family trusts, other inter vivos trusts, joint tenancy, life insurance and beneficiary designations and other estate planning tools. John and his team will work with the client and their other advisers including accountants, financial planners, investment counsellors and other legal counsel to develop and document an efficient and tax effective estate plan.
Education & Bar Admission
- BA University of Western Ontario 1972
- LLB University of Windsor 1976
- Ontario 1978
Community & Professional Involvement
- Chairman of the United Way Campaign;
- President of the United Way of Cornwall and Area;
- President and member of the executive of the SD & G Bar Association;
- Chair and Director of Cornwall’s Heart of the City;
- Chair and member of the Board of Management of the Downtown Business Improvement Area;
- Law Society of Upper Canada, the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association and the American Bar Association;
- The board of directors of the St. Lawrence River Institute of Environmental Sciences Foundation.
Phone: (613) 938-2333 – Ext.222